ESP
HOME TICKETS NEWS PREVIOUS EDITIONS

Belle & Sebastian's Tigermilk turn 21

Today marks 21 years since the release of Tigermilk, the 1996 debut album from Scottish pop group Belle and Sebastian. A work nowadays considered an indie-pop classic, at the time it was kind of obscure for public and critics alike, given originally a limited release of 1,000 copies by Electric Honey.  

Stuart Murdoch and Stuart David founded Belle and Sebastian in Glasgow in 1996. Together, with Stow College music professor Alan Rankine, they recorded some demos, which were picked up by the college's Music Business course that produces and releases one single each year on the college's label, Electric Honey. As the band had a number of songs already and the label was extremely impressed with the demos, Belle and Sebastian were allowed to record a full-length album, which was titled Tigermilk

The album includes Belle and Sebastian classics like The State I Am In, Expectations, I Don’t Love Anyone o My Wandering Days Are Over. Shotly after its release Murdoch and David turn the band into a full-time project, recruiting Stevie Jackson (guitar and vocals), Isobel Campbell (cello/vocals), Chris Geddes (keys) and Richard Colburn (drums) to fill out the group.

Belle and Sebastian were signed to Jeepster Records in August 1996 and If You're Feeling Sinister, their second album, was released on 18 November, ony five months after thier debut.